rule

 

Landmarks

The Soldiers' and Sailors' MonumentCase Study: The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument

The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument, on the southeast quadrant of Public Square, has stood tall since its dedication on July 4, 1894. The monument commemorates the Civil War and its relation to the local people and events that shaped that time.

Although Cleveland Thermal opened its district steam service the year of the monument’s dedication, it did not convert the landmark’s DC electrical heating system to district steam heat until the 1920s.

In the fall of 2008, a $2 million renovation ensued to update the monument’s mechanical systems, lighting and restrooms and restore the tinted, Victorian marble interior as well as its various artifacts and stained glass windows. The Cuyahoga County Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument Commission, which owns and manages the monument, ensured that its new hydronic heating system was designed to work with the monument’s long-time district steam service. This high efficiency set up will strive to preserve the monument for another 100 years while maintaining the comfort of its 10,000 plus annual visitors.

rule Services: District Steam | District Colling | Energy Management | Service Area | Case Studies